London Film School
There is no movie without the art department!
Did you know that the art department is the BIGGEST department on a film or TV production and has a vast range of jobs and career paths on offer? From set decoration to graphic design, drafting and prop making the art department needs people with a variety of skills.
If you have a desire to work in Film/TV and you have an interest in art and design then this is for you.
This intensive and practical course is aimed at beginners looking to break into the field of production design and give you the basic skills to start work as a junior in the art department.
After completing this workshop you will:
- have a greater understanding and competence in the most basic and indispensable elements needed to start work in a professional Art Department in Film and Television, including basic drafting, model making, location surveys, script breakdowns and storyboarding.
- have gained a vital insight into how an Art Department is organised, and how it relates to all the other departments on a Film or TV production.
- have experienced a live working art department and received bespoke advice from industry professionals.
- have a better understanding of how to progress into the industry including how to manage your career, how to interview for jobs and how to best present your skills and experience.
- have confidence that you are ready to start your first job in the art department.
- come away with useful industry contacts.
- Duration: Fri 4 Jan - Fri 18 Jan, 2019 (15 days)
- Times: 10am - 6pm
- Capacity: Max. 9 participants
- Level: Beginners
- Ages: 18-26
- Tutor: Fleur Whitlock and guest speakers
- Fee: £300 (bursaries are available, see job spec page for more details on the application form)
About the employer
For over 60 years London Film School (LFS) has been the place for emerging creative talent to hone their craft, find their voice and engage directly with the vibrant UK screen industries. With a student cohort from every corner of the globe, LFS has always been a cultural hub where fresh voices, experiences and perspectives rub shoulders with tradition and history. The story of film has played out at Shelton Street – the pull of celluloid, alongside the push of the new and the emergence of a digital world. Here, LFS take both seriously to celebrate a tradition of innovation.
People enter the art department with a variety of skills and backgrounds: some people have been to art school or studied as architects, others may have learned their trade on building sites or at the theatre.
For this course, the London Film School are looking for participants with creative skills and an ability to work as part of a team to take the first steps towards a career in the art department. Applicants should show real drive and an interest in this area as a potential future career.
The London Film School particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the screen industries.
How to apply
Visit London Film School's website for the full course outline and requirements. If you're interested in applying, click the grey 'Apply Now' button at the bottom of the page, and fill out the form. Good luck!