The Agency at Blackhorse Workshop
Blackhorse Workshop is looking to recruit an Assistant Facilitator to help deliver ‘The Agency’ project in Waltham Forest, as part of the London Borough of Culture 2019.
The Agency was originally developed by Battersea Arts Centre in collaboration with Contact Theatre in Manchester and is an initiative allowing young people aged 15-25 from deprived inner-city areas to develop business ideas benefitting their communities.
The role is responsible for supporting the delivery of creative activities for young people from the local community. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of this celebrated social change programme, working in a lively and creative environment at Blackhorse Workshop.
Blackhorse Workshop was founded by Turner Prize-winning design & architecture practice Assemble, and developed by its Creative Director Harriet Warden. Now in their fifth year, they’re looking for a friendly and enthusiastic person to join their committed team. You will ideally have an interest in the space and have previous experience you can bring to the role.
- Stage 1: Wednesday 1st May –Wednesday 17th July 2019
- Stage 2: Wednesday 28th August –Saturday 14th December 2019
- Pre 1st May 2019
Project start date
- Wednesday 1st May
- Wednesday 2 pm -8 pm (Wednesday session delivery: 5.30pm -7.30pm)
- Saturdays: 10:30 – 5:30pm(Saturday session delivery: 11 -5pm)
General role outline:
- As Assistant Facilitator, you will support and assist the Lead Facilitator in the planning, delivery and evaluation of the weekly Agency sessions with up to 20 people aged 15-25 from May 2019 –February 2020 in line with the Agency methodology on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday days
- You will attend regular meetings with The Agency’s Lead Facilitator and Project Manager
- In addition, co-plan and lead a 2 hour session every Wednesday to support participants with independent research for their project area
- Work closely with the young people to support them to develop their ideas within the methodology of the Agency
- Respond to and support the specific needs of each young person’s project with a focus on offering routes into resources
- Create content to support the documentation of the progress of the young people and the process as a whole•Support in preparing and undertaking administration for the project including taking registers and preparing resources for sessions
- Feed into the evaluation of the process set against the aims and objectives of the project
- Support the agents with pastoral care needs where appropriate and inform the Agency Project Manager of any concerns
- Ensure health and safety, dignity and respect, and equal opportunities in the workplace in line with Blackhorse Workshop’s policies and procedures
- Take photographs and upload to social media during sessions
- Write a short blog at the end of each cycle (12-16 weeks) to be published on Blackhorse Workshop’s blog page
- As the Assistant Facilitator you will work with a group of young people (The Agents) to realise their successfully pitched projects
- You will help to identify networks for them to connect with and set up meetings where appropriate
- •Help to identify future funding opportunities and methods of sustainability for the projects and their development e.g. Princes Trust, Unltd, Awards for All•Encourage and support the agents to work more autonomously and ensure they have the skills to complete further projects independently
- Oversee all planning and budget documents for the agents’ projects
- Be present at the agents’ meetings with Blackhorse Workshop staff and external people
- Provide feedback and evaluation to enable the agents to grow
- Ensure all projects are fully documented
- Work closely with the Lead Facilitator and Project Manager to ensure the above are aims are met and to discuss any concerns that arise of additional support needed
About the employer
The Agency UK is a Battersea Arts Centre and Contact programme devised in partnership with People's Palace Projects. Current delivery partnersinclude: National Theatre Wales and Fablab Belfast. It is currently funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund and the Mayor of London.
The Agency at Blackhorse Workshop is part of the London Borough of Culture 2019. London Borough of Culture is a Mayor of London initiative, supported by the City of London Corporation’s charity and City Bridge Trust.The Agency is a programme originally conceived by Marcus Faustini in Rio de Janeiro where it is delivered by Agência de Redes para a Juventude. The UK pilot(2013-15) was funded by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
For more background about The Agency visit:
Blackhorse Workshop are looking for someone who is confident and enthusiastic in working with young people and able to apply their facilitation experience to support the delivery of The Agency’s weekly sessions, the evaluative process and wider aims of the project. They encourage applications from all sections of the community and in particular those from diverse and under represented backgrounds including BAME. The Assistant Facilitator should be able to demonstrate the following experience and qualities:
- A passion for empowering young people to engender change in their lives and wider community
- A desire to affect social change within hard to reach communities
- Confidence with communicating with a range a different people and an ability to build relationships in a community setting
- A desire to work with young people
- An understanding of the challenges facing young people today
- An ability to problem solve and develop creative solutions
- A proven track record of being committed and reliable when working with young people
- Some experience of facilitation
- Experience in working with local communities
How to apply
The deadline for applications is midnight Sunday 24th March. Applicants are encouraged to send a CV and short covering letter detailing their interest and suitability for the role to Lucy Dear: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 2nd April 2019.