The Technical Services section is responsible for providing a wide range of art handling activities to support the V&A’s public programme of exhibitions, gallery refurbishments and loans, and to undertake work on collections care and storage, all with the aim of delivering improved access to the collections whether on display at South Kensington or the Museum of Childhood or in collections stores.
As the Technical Services Apprentice, you will develop an understanding of the V&A and train to be a competent member of Technical Services. Acquire the skills and knowledge required to support a range of art handling activities within a busy museum environment.
- Work towards achieving a recognised cultural heritage apprenticeship at Level 3, attending all required training and completing all coursework.
- Train with members of the section to carry out technical work on a range of projects.
- Develop an understanding of how to write risk assessments and method statements. Maintain accurate job records and produce appropriate documentation when required.
- Train to use/maintain/store machinery and tools appropriately.
- Take responsibility for personal development and performance.
- Ensure effective communication with colleagues, managers and other sections and departments within the museum.
- Be committed to health and safety and ensure familiarity with all of the Museum's health and safety policies and procedures.
- Be security conscious, ensure familiarity and co-operation with all museum security procedures and ensure you wear a security pass at all times when on museum premises.
- Promote equality and diversity in all aspects of your work by developing and maintaining positive working relationships, ensuring that colleagues are treated fairly and with respect/dignity and actively contributing to developments that support the museum’s strategy for widening access, inclusion and diversity.
- Carry out ad hoc duties as requested by appropriate managers within your department.
About the employer
As the world’s greatest museum of art and design, the V&A enriches people’s lives by promoting the practice of design and increasing knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of the designed world.
- The ability to lift, carry and work at height.
- Basic IT skills.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Good communication skills.
- An interest in working with tools, machinery and access equipment.
- Flexible, self motivated with the ability to listen and carry out instructions.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Be professional, polite and have a positive attitude.
- 5 GCSEs A* – C which must include English and Mathematics.
- An interest in Art and Design
- An interest in drawing or design software
- An interest in the Cultural Heritage sector
- GCSE A* – C in Information Communication Technology
How to apply
Please apply online via the V&A’s website at www.vam.ac.uk/jobs
If you are having technical difficulties applying online, please use the online chat functionality which can be found on the bottom right hand side of the form. Alternatively, you can contact Vacancy Filler directly on 01509 236434, and quote the role reference number and your application number (if known). Please note, Vacancy Filler are contactable, Monday – Friday between 9.00am – 5.00pm.
If you have any queries regarding the role and/or the V&A’s recruitment process, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 7942 2937 (Working hours Monday – Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm).
Closing date for receipt of applications is Midnight Sunday 24 March 2019
Interviews to be held on 23 – 26 April 2019.
Interview expenses will not be paid unless there is a prior agreement.