Applications are NOW OPEN!
The programme's aim is to support early start-up traders to grow their businesses, to reach new customers and audiences and to work with experienced traders and business experts to take the next step to elevate their success. Market trading is low cost, no boss and high return - we’re giving 15 ambitious Londoners the chance to turn their fortunes around, and we hope that includes you!
What you will get:
- Each successful candidate will be provided with a stall, in one of London's thriving markets, to trade between March - September 2019.
- There will be a £500 bursary (split over 2 x £250 payments, to be paid at the beginning and again on completion of programme)
- Industry mentors will provide ongoing support to boost your confidence, point out any pitfalls to be avoided, and to lend an ear when you need words of wisdom or to talk through any problems you might have.
- Induction week will introduce you to the programme, with sessions on business modelling, branding and trading within a market or on a micro-scale.
About the employer
Tomorrow’s Market is commissioned and funded by the Greater London Authority and the London Growth Hub. The programme has been designed with Something & Son, and is delivered in partnership with Create Jobs.
Tomorrow's Market will provide resources for new and burgeoning independent businesses to trade productively within the market, and provide training within iconic London markets throughout the city. Pairing new traders with veterans, the programme will support new and emerging traders to navigate the winding roads of the market.
We will also provide a range of online resources for new traders. Stay tuned to find testimonials, insider tips, market trade tool kits, traders’ blog, our online shop, the trader finder, market maps, and available pitch postings.
- Be a resident of any London borough
- Be aged 18+
- Have either a product to sell or a personal service to benefit customers (we are looking for diverse products and services, as well as traditional market trades)
- Have a minimum of 2 years of trading experience, either in market, at home or online
We are seeking applications from people who are currently under-represented within this industry. This includes candidates from a black, Asian or ethnic minority backgrounds, disabled candidates, those from the LGBTQ+ community, people on low income, as well people from a range of socio-economic backgrounds.
We also welcome applicants whether they have no formal qualifications or those who have taken the formal educational route.
How to apply
Interview process and key dates:
- First Interviews: Successful candidates will need to be available for interview on 21 or 22 March.
The first stage interview will require you to set aside half a day (up to 4 hours), the aim is for us to get to know you to see whether you are the right fit for the programme. The process will involve a quick pitch with a group of other candidates, then a chat with experienced market traders and then a Q&A session with the panel. You will be required to bring in your products or be prepared to offer a demonstration of your service to the panel.
- There will be a second round of interviews on the 27 or 28 March
The second interview will be for 1 hour and focus on your business model and business plan, which you will prepare in advance. There will be a 10-minute talk through your plan, a discussion about how you trade, and then the panel will then ask a few questions, for 20 minutes, and time will be allocated for you to ask the panel any questions at the end.
- After interviews, the successful candidates will be notified by the 29 March
All successful candidates will need to be available for induction week training on the 2 -5 April 2019.