A New Direction
The Young Challenge Group (YCG) is an advisory and advocacy group of young people from across London, aged 15 – 24, who help make a real difference to young people’s access to creative and cultural opportunities in London.
The group act as advisors on Challenge London, a major new programme run by A New Direction. Through Challenge London, A New Direction will invest £900,000 in new initiatives that will enable new or different creative opportunities for children and young people across London.
By joining the Young Challenge Group, you'll get...
- Have new experiences and the chance to make a real difference to the creative and cultural opportunities for young people across the city
- Experience being ‘on the inside’ of a large-scale arts and creative programme
- Develop your team working, planning, presentation and networking skills
- Learn more about the creative and cultural sector and be part of one or more sessions with a visiting speaker or specialist from the arts sector
- Visit and learn about projects made by, with and for young people across the city
- Help plan and deliver an event for other young Londoners relating to the Challenge themes
- Share your ideas and feedback with A New Direction on Challenge London investments
- Advocate for creative and cultural opportunities for young Londoners
- Support with monitoring and evaluation of the Challenge London programme
The Young Challenge Group will:
- Put young Londoners’ voices, ideas, concerns and considerations at the centre of the Challenge London programme;
- Meet approximately once a month for the second year of Challenge London, April 2019 – March 2020 (the info and registration session is 6pm – 8pm, Tuesday 16th April 2019, the first meeting is 6.00pm – 8.00pm, Wednesday 15th May 2019);
- Play an ongoing advisory and advocacy role throughout the Challenge, including supporting the monitoring and evaluation of Challenge London
We are looking for young Londoners who:
- Are between the ages of 15 – 24;
- Are passionate about creative and cultural opportunities for young people in our city;
- Enjoy working as part of a team;
- Are confident (or would like to gain confidence) speaking with a wide range of people;
- Can commit to attending the majority of YCG meetings over the course of the second year of Challenge London (March 2019 – April 2020);
- Would like to gain more insight into the creative and cultural landscape in London.
How to apply
Please complete the short expression of interest form below by Sunday 7th April 2019.
On the form you’ll be asked 2 questions:
- Tell us a little bit about you (what do you enjoy doing, what are your hobbies/interests etc.)
- Why do you want to be a member of the Young Challenge Group? (What excites or interests you most about being a part of the Young Challenge Group? What skills will you bring to the group or what skills are you hoping to develop? What experience do you hope to gain through taking part? What change do you want to see in creative and cultural opportunities for young Londoners?)
You’ll then be invited to an informal information and registration session over pizza on Tuesday 16th April 2019.
Up to £10 can be reimbursed towards your travel expenses to and from the event.
A New Direction are committed to our opportunities being accessible to all young Londoners. If you have any access requirements, need the expression of interest form or any of this information in a different format or would like to know more about being part of the YCG, please get in touch with Hasina on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0207 608 2132.
Please note: if you are under 18, you will not be able to participate in the Young Challenge Group without consent from your parent/guardian. If you are invited to join the Young Challenge Group you will be sent a consent form, which you will need to return to A New Direction before you can participate.